Music Banter - View Single Post - Urban's Never-ending A to Z
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 10:37 AM   #28 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

1 Speed Bike - Droopy Butt Begone - 2000

1 Speed Bike is a solo project from Godspeed You! Black Emperor drummer Aiden Girt. And yes it does sound like a drummers solo album too as the drums dominate the album. Given that it's a solo project of a guy from a band that I really do not have much love for and that the entire album sounds like a big drum solo you'd think I'd hate this album, yet I don't.
It's a bit like a mixture of DJ Shadow's Endtroducing & Eno & Bryne's Bush of Ghosts as seen from a drummers point of view.

The songs follow a typical pattern - show chill out bit , followed by sample , followed by another slow chill out bit , and then the drums come crashing in. It does get a bit predictable after a while. The song titles are ridiculously long and stupid but you come to expect that with certain post rock bands. And it's not as if they are needed really the songs just kind of merge into this single entity it's hard to know when one finishes and the next starts.

An OK record , but one that doesn't really stand up well to repeated plays. It has it's moments but on the whole it brings nothing particularly new or interesting. Other than the beats there's nothing really here.

4/10

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote