Music Banter - View Single Post - How do you choose your "top 10"?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
WaspStar
Back to mono

Default How do you choose your "top 10"?

We're always making lists of our 10 (or 20, or 50, or 100) favorite albums, songs, and bands, but what is the criteria most people use? Is it down to personal experiences with the album? How good you think the album is? How often you listen to it? The three rarely apply to a single album. I can only think of about half a dozen records that I think are "good" (defined as not embarassing or hackwork), that I have a certain soft spot for (some albums remind us of a certain time of life), and play often.

So what is your criteria when someone asks for your "top 10" records? (Assuming that you don't dodge the question). The 10 you've been playing the most recently? The 10 that mean the most to you? The first 10 that come to mind?

I guess this is why some people refuse to answer music polls.

I have a few records that will always be on my list, no matter what, and the rest usually depends on what I've been getting into at that point in time. As much as I love the first VU album, I really don't listen to it often enough to put it on a top 10 list. I'd be more likely to put A Quick One on the list. It's not as "good," but I tend to play it more often.
WaspStar is offline   Reply With Quote