Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #1251 (permalink)
Piss Me Off
Moodswings n' Roundabouts

I can't say i'm much of a solo man. It's one of the low points of bands like Metallica, they feel the need to put a solo in every song as if it's a necessity. I'd much rather just stay with the riffs half the time thanks.
Maggot Brain is incredible, but very few songs pull off what that song does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unfan View Post
NMH is probably among the worst sounding bands in history. They're just so insufferably terrible that its hard to put into words. Everything that made Tiny Tim a bad vocalist exists tenfold in Mangum's voice and vocal style. His lyrics are decent though. The music sounds like it was composed by a bunch of 10 year olds who figured out how to play their first two chords, and they play those chords in a way that would make even Kurt Cobain sound semi-talented. Its just bad. Like Kimya Dawson bad, but worse.
I'm not sure about that, when i listen to songs like KOCF Part 2 it's hard to say it's badly composed. It's a well thought out piece of music. The stage is set and everything escalates into a full blown rock song where everything feels like it's in the right place.
It's low-fi yes, but at no point do i doubt they are capable with their instruments and Mangum knows how to write a proper acoustic ditty.
Then again a voice like his always splits people. Fair enough, i wouldn't take it away myself but i can understand where you're coming from. In the same sort of way i feel about Billy Corgan and Neil Young i suppose the voice adds that extra feeling of character to the music and it grows on you.

Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape
Piss Me Off is offline   Reply With Quote