Music Banter - View Single Post - The Passion In Music Discussion
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Ya'll already know what I think about defining music with words like passion. The way people use the term makes no sense to me.

I always assumed passion is about getting really into it, but that's contradicted by how others define it. I hear people calling The Mars Volta and Muse passionless, and then I watch them live and think to myself "what in the hell are they talking about?"

What about My Bloody Valentine? Do they have passion? They sure as hell don't look like it, they're like mannequins. That goes for a lot of Indie bands these days it seems. So really what defines passion to some people is just how it sounds.

So what is the sound of passion? Does passion only manifest itself in certain techniques? Is it in distortion and feedback, but not in reverb and phasing? Does it depend on the instrument used? The musicians amount of skill?

The way people describe it it sure seems that way, if it's sloppy it's passion, if it's clean and precise it's soulless, if it sounds like it's produced in an outhouse it's passion, if it's elaborately produced it's souless.

It's all foolishness if you ask me. There is no sound of passion, at the end of the day music is just manipulation of sound. Music is music, I don't care if the musicians are jumping around breaking stuff or just standing there doing their job and sipping tea between songs. It dosen't affect the music at all for me.
To me, I think passion is defined as whether or not you can literally "hear" the smile shining through the speaker system. It needs to be a smile. If the musician is not smiling during the recording, there's no passion.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote