Music Banter - View Single Post - Urban's Never-ending A to Z
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #31 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

65daysofstatic - The Destruction Of Small Ideas - 2007

I think I may be in possession of this due to someone from this site telling me to check it out but I can't remember for the life of me who it was.
I'm a bit undecided what to make of this album. I didn't mind it but I began to tire of it pretty quickly. to me a huge majority of the songs just sounded like something in between Trail Of Dead & At the Drive In but without lyrics. I couldn't see an awful lot of originality on this album. There are a few electronic bits scattered around and a load of orchestral bits but they don't really do anything to add to it. To be honest the whole soft / loud /soft / loud thing bores me to death and on this album it seems to be in abundance. And why is it that virtually every track needs a minute or two to warm up?
There seems to be an abundance of this kind of Math rock / Post rock (Not my label so no genre arguments please , I really don't care) hybrid sort of thing around at the moment and to me they nearly all sound as anonymous as this does. I'm not entirely sure how you listen to this stuff. It's far too abrasive & noisy to listen to as background music but on the other hand it's a bit too dull & repetitive to actually listen to as you would say a commercial rock or pop record. Not that I can't listen to that kind of stuff like that but I need a hook or a rhythm to keep me interested. There are lots of guitars but they just seem to drone on & on. there are lots of drums too but no memorable rhythms .If fact this whole album seems to be devoid of any hooks or rhythm .
I can see why people like this stuff but it just isn't for me. The only songs that really stood out for me was 'Music is Music as Devices are Kisses is Everything' which sounded more like an epic film score than anything.And 'The Distant & Mechanised Glow of Eastern European Dance Parties' was a nice little electronica song in the same vein as Radiohead's Idoiteque. If the rest of the material on the album was up to this standard of these two songs I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

2/10

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote