Music Banter - View Single Post - Musicbanter Improvement Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #83 (permalink)
right-track
Atchin' Akai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
it's just that you have all been "Bantering" for so long you're like a family at the dinner table, you say and do things with each other that you don't even think about anymore and yet to a new visitor it's hard to know when you say something how it will be received or dismissed out of hand, so many just say little or nothing at all.

Suggestion #1- Move the New Members Intro to the very top of the opening page, and have all of the Moderator's introduce themselves with a quick summary and a very basic outline of forum policy/requirements.(I know I started posting before I even stumbled across the cool intro thread in the lounge...this site is so large that it's easy to get distracted and miss something as basic and necessary as this thread.)

Suggestion #2- A Banter Octagon,,,a sub forum where members can meet to really take the gloves off so to speak,,,if you are going to allow Pish etc...then why not a proper sub forum where almost anything goes, except very demeaning personal attacks, I don't think they have any place in a public forum.

Suggestion #3- Bumping old posts...the scale of history in your forum is astonishing to a new member,,,I have gotten lost more than once just looking over some of the ancient posts scattered throughout the popular threads. Maybe the Moderators could pick a few of the really good ones that are still relevant and resurrect them for new discussion. You know Urban picks 2 or more this week, Right Track next week etc....and then eventually they can be archived or locked.
First off...welcome to the forums Sasquatch.

For years I've wanted MusicBanter to develop into more than just a message board and I hope that's how others see it.
The members here are from all corners of the world and come from very different backgrounds and the idea of MB being a friendly place to visit and chat about music (predominantly) and just about anything else in 'The Lounge' can only be good for the boards.
However, your point about the "Bantering...like a family at the dinner table" is valid, although I personally think it's a good thing. I recognise that it may make some new members feel a little left out.
So, I'd like to see more current (longer standing) members make the effort to welcome the newbs and join the rest of us "at the dinner table" so to speak.
In short, MusicBanter, like music, is for everybody...with the exception of low life, scum of the earth, time wasting trolling/spamming bastards.

Suggestion 1 is a good idea and I'll see what can be done.
Maybe a section of it's own above 'The Lounge'...I'll bring it up in 'Mods'.

Number 3 would be worth doing for some of the better, older threads. It's why we created the Editors Choice forum and maybe we should move some more in there too.
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote