Music Banter - View Single Post - Is there such a thing as modern classical?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #55 (permalink)
clavis
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddpeaks View Post
I used to have an album, one of those "pure moods" albums and I loved it. Along the lines of classical rock. Had Tubular Bells and such like on it. Would you still class it as classical music or is it pushing too far toward mainstream music???
On the words alone, "modern classical" is an oxymoron... self-contradictory. On the generic use of the words, "classical" would be re-worded to be "serious music". And so yes, there are "modern serious music".... and it depends on how "serious" you want to music to be. As far as I know, Beatles' music are deep and serious, so are the various songs from Sound of Music, or some of Celine Dion's songs.

Ok, my point is, the terms can be all relative. The usual sense of "classical" means the music lasts the test of times, trends, and fashion. So if we refer to music by Mozart or Beethoven, sure, they survived centuries are still favored by some music lovers of our times. Modern compositions, however, have yet to undergo this test of time. We have seen "oldies" that are still enjoyed by some music lovers, so in a sense, these "oldies" are just as "classical" as Beethoven. (ducking... blaspheme unintended)

The "serious" of the "serious" are, perhaps, those into Expressionism, Pointilism, Minimalism, Neo-Classicism, or any other "-isms" that you can name. From my limited knowledge, look for music by Schoenberg, Webern, (for Expressionism), Philip Glass (early works, for Minimalism), Prokoffief (Neo-Classicism)

Regards.