Music Banter - View Single Post - By the way, which one's Pink?-Pink Floyd reviewed
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #72 (permalink)
Double X
sleepe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
SYD BARRETT-THE MADCAP LAUGHS

A simple sypnosis of this album could be summed up in the track 'No Good Trying'. A simple slice of late 60's psychedelia that has all the hall marks of a Barrett composition: Classic Pop structure, obscure lyrics and English eccentricity. Listen again. There are so many time changes in the track it is nothing short of a miracle that it made it to the end. (Barrett reportedly changed tempo, lyrics and motifs at random).

Rescued at Dead End Street by Gilmour and Waters, Madcap Laughs remains a stunningly brilliant slice of music from an era that was recovering physically and mentally from the excess of 60's idealism.

You want hooks, melodies and classic lyrics? Not here I'm afraid. Only an album that reminds us all that music is at it's most quixotic when it is unpredicatable. Madcap Laughs hold's up extremely well and it is not easy to appreciate Barretts contribution to British Singer/Songwriters both past and present.

I love this album. It's definitely not for everyone but I just can't stop listening to it. It consist of a Syd on the acoustic most of the time and Soft Machine (psychedelic instrumental band) as the backup. It's ravings of a half-genius madman. I love it.

1. Terrapin

What a weird song. My best friend said he was listening to this album (I asked him to) and after 20 seconds of this he thought it was nothing and gave up. What a shame. He plays few notes and sings simple chorus but its great.

2. No Good Trying

The psychedelic backdrop in this song is not really noticed but its great, and the lyrics are all right.

3. Love You

Weirdddd song. But if this could be edited a little and given some of PF's special effects, it could have slipped right on PatGoD easily. Very catchy and upbeat.

4. No Man's Land

More distorted psychedelic stuff. Love it.

5. Dark Globe

This has very little instruments besides acoustic so if you don't like his voice you will never like the song. Well you shouldn't be listening to the album if you don't like the voice.

6. Here I Go

Nice melody in the vocals and solid lyrics.

7. Octopus

Some people call this his most creative work but I think its about a place in the carnival with a ride called the Octopus (read it somewhere). Anyways, some weird lyrics and even weirder chord progression.

8. Golden Hair

Actually I don't like it that much. Doesn't sing fast enough and I don't like the subject.

9. Lone Gone

Closest thing to a real song on here so its alright.

10.She Took A Long Cold Look

Album starts to drop off here, even by my standards. Eh this is passable I never go looking for it though.

11.Feel

Again like the above song.

12.If It's In You

Shows that this person is truly crazy, he seems to be singing off tune on purpose?!?!

13.Late Night

Nice Slide guitar ending.

In order of favorites:
1. Octopus
2. Here I Go
3. Love You
4. Dark Globe
5. Terrapin
6. No Good Trying
7. Long Gone
8. Late Night
9. No Man's Land
10.If It's In You
11.She Took a Long Cold Look
12.Feel
13.Golden Hair

I think, if there is such a thing, that this one of the greatest under produced rock albums ever. If this is in fact rock.
Double X is offline   Reply With Quote