Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Beatles album?
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 11:21 PM   #34 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
But that's what an album is. It is a compilation of songs that have been pre-mixed and a producer decides which songs should go where. I'm not saying there isn't some cohesive theme in the writing of any album. But it's not like they said, "Hmmm. This song sounds good. Which song should we write to follow it up with on the album?" And in the case of MMT, it was a bunch of songs that actually FIT together. Isn't that what an album is?
A studio album is an album which was A, recorded in connected studio sessions, and B, has a set of songs that were intended by the band to appear on one record. That is a distinct difference. I can't actually believe it if you are trying to break down the barrier between studio albums and compilations of songs that weren't intended for one record. What's more, a band too might well decide upon the order of tracks, not just the producer.

But the most crucial distinction is that a studio album is one on which a number of songs appear that were intended to belong together on a single record. This is not the case with MMT LP.

As for early Beatles, the originals on Please Please Me are good; With The Beatles is trash; Hard Day's Night has some excellent ballads and beat numbers on it; Beatles For Sale has a number of pretty good originals on it; Help is mostly filler but the filler is pretty good and catchy, and the strong songs on it are excellent.

Last edited by Rainard Jalen; 06-28-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote