Music Banter - View Single Post - The Definitve List: Most Overrated Bands\Artists ever
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

20. Radiohead

Most Overrated Album: OK Computer, it's great but not their best.
Most Overrated song: Paranoid Android

As I hinted at in my intro, I didn’t like putting Radiohead on my list. They pop up occasionally online as overrated but rarely is any sort of compelling case made. It’s usually something like; “they suck, get over it”, this will not do. But after having some more thoughtful discussions with some more seasoned music minds, it became painstakingly clear that Radiohead were not only over rated but actually have redefined overrated in the modern era.

The problem is beyond the control of the band. They just continue to make consistently good music with innovative marketing, production and performances. They never claim to be great nor grandiose, they just make music. However they are the victims of an MTV culture. The problem for Radiohead is that it’s cool to like Radiohead. This sounds good on the surface but as you come to realize with age, a lot of times when you don’t like people, you don’t want them to like you either.

People who have listened to Karma Police three times (twice covered by some chick with an acoustic guitar) claim to be “huge” Radiohead fans. No one dares say Radiohead made a mediocre album, **Cough** Amnesiac **Cough**. When all is said and done they may not be overrated, but as for now they are very much overrated by people who have not even given them a fair listen and that lands them at #20, plus it’s a lot more controversial then most other choices I considered for this spot.
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote