Music Banter - View Single Post - The Crowe 100
Thread: The Crowe 100
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowe
Music Addict

Default The Crowe 100

It's about time I made one of these bad boys. I've always wanted to, but never got around to it... here she goes:

However... before I start, I want to point out that several of these albums are important due to their involvement in my own life. While I will explain their importance in the blurb I write about each album - I want you to know that if you don't like when people put safe bets in their top 100, then stop here... some of those albums are important albums for a reason. Expect to see some classic rock in my top25. Don't expect me to include super vague bands for the purpose of showing off my "musical knowledge". Leave your airs at the door and welcome to an introspective 100.

As per usual. 100 different artists... the blurb, and some song recommendations. I will add to this randomely, 4 albums per post - so if you only see 1-3 albums in a post - chances are I'll come back and edit a post to include the rest of the albums. Always check!

100. Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies (2002)
"Now I'm... aimin' for heaven, but probably wind up down in hell!"
Is probably one of my favorite lyrics of all time. It is simple. It is brutally honest. I first heard Flogging Molly in some little music shop in Memphis and I was awe struck at how absolutely raw Dave King (the lead vocals)sounded. His emotion and his accent had me hooked - and the song Drunken Lullabies became my anthem for the summer of 2002 - I was in my rebellious teenage years. This album was the only thing that played in my room for a good 2 or 3 weeks before my mom made me shut it off, "Ryan! I'm tired of hearing that irish crap." My mom likes Paula Abdul. Nuff Said. For pure nostalgia's sake I want to put this album higher... unfortunately, this album does not stand the test of time. She winds up at 100.

Check out: Rebels of the Sacred Heart, What's Left of the Flag, Death Valley Queen

99. The Show Is The Rainbow- Radboyz Only!!! (2005)
TSITR is a one piece act from Omaha. Darren Keen is a wild man and put on probably one of the most fun live acts I've seen in a long while. My friend who works at a local record label dragged me along to this show in Columbia, MO - and this guy came on and turned this little dive bar into pure magic. His energy and his stage persona are all part of a show based on commentary on the "indie" scene. He even takes a few shots at Mr. Bright Eyes himself on the track "Up a Creek Without a Saddle". He is openly *** and lets you know it - improvising songs like, "If there's a d!ck I want to suck, I'll suck the d!ck I want!!" and making the audience sing it. This sweaty electronic rap/rocker, wannabe Beck comes in at number 99.

Check out: Medicillin, Up A Creek Without a Saddle, The Creepiest Creep in All the Land

98. Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance (1978)
Wow, what can you say about Pere Ubu's debut album? This album is really one of the first albums where I had to take a step out of the box and just listen to something that I didn't really consider... to be... good music the first time around. It was like if the bastard child of jazz and punk ran head first into a circus and then got blasted with radiation making it mutate into... "Life Stinks" and "Sentimental Journey". As I listened more - I became aware of the importance of the union of the garage rock influence, the spastic trumpet solos and the voice of David Thomas. This album, while not regarded as their "best", certainly was important in making them one of the fore-runners of avant garde rock.

Check out: Life Stinks, Street Waves, The Modern Dance, Sentimental Journey

97. Bi-Level - Songbird (2003)
Bi-Level was a local act that I would consider "my first band" with an emphasis on the "MY". They were group that I followed around St. Louis when I was 15-18...they were the group that I did whatever I could to get to their show. I'm talking one time I hitched a ride with some people I met online before I could drive. I went to churches, snuck into bars and stood outside in an alleyway to hear them play. I must've gone to more than 20 shows - spanning 3 states to hear the same songs over and over again. They are a local group that tours mostly in Illinois and Missouri and Kansas... and when all is said and done are pretty much a decent pop-rock group with catchy hooks and a unique sounding singer. One time, in the height of my fanaticism, their cd cracked because I stepped on it... I drove 3 hours the next time they had a show just to buy another one.

Check out: Favorite Color, Oh Oh Oh, Calling

Last edited by Crowe; 08-18-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote