Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Beatles album?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 10:54 AM   #44 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Moore View Post
I really like The White Album. The only song I really don't like is Don't Pass Me By.

On a semi-related note, am I the only one who likes Wild Honey Pie and Revolution 9?
I like Wild Honey Pie a lot. Revolution 9, not so much. Why? Because it's an avant garde jam but 2 years after everybody else did the same thing, and aside from that (i.e. being a ripoff) it's not a very good take on the jam. It's unimpressive. It reminds me of Tool's bad ambient filler tracks that they needlessly put on albums.

On the topic of Rubber Soul and Revolver, it's hard to compare them really because they are basically different genres. Rubber Soul was folk rock, while Revolver pretty much abandoned rock'n'roll to get closer to pop - more specifically, the kind of pop inspired by the Brill Building. Revolver's considered the best of the best within that particular pop genre, and I'd go along with that. Rubber Soul on the other hand is interesting in that the strongest tracks are not the rock'n'roll ones (which the Beatles were trying to seek success in) but rather the more melodic ones like Michelle, which is in the style of 50s vocal groups, and Girl. I think this point serves to highlight where the Beatles' strengths really were. On Revolver they utilize those strengths to the absolute max, delivering the best record of straight-out beautiful pop music that they could muster.

Last edited by Rainard Jalen; 07-06-2008 at 03:10 AM.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote