Music Banter - View Single Post - The Crowe 100
Thread: The Crowe 100
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowe
Music Addict

80. Carl Orff - Carmina Burana (~1935)
"What's this? A neo-classical piece stuck into a list with predominately alternative rock albums from the 80s and 90s? What say you, Crowe?" As some of you old timers may know, I use to be very into the choral program in my pre-college schooling (where it was the "cool" thing to do). Carmina Burana was the first "Masterworks" piece I had ever done. As a Tenor I ( a voice part for those of you not in the know) I got to sing a bunch of really cool parts in this epic 59 minute piece. All of you have heard the opening track - even if you are not aware of it. O Fortuna is a haunting, powerful track that is used in a lot of advertisements nowadays. It is the theme song for the movie "Excalibur" if that helps at all. My personal favorite song from Carmina Burana is "Ecce Gratum"

Check out: ... as a classical album it works better as a whole, but... for the sake of continuity; O Fortuna, Ecce Gratum, Veni - Veni - Venias

79. Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill (1986)
I almost put "Hello Nasty" here - Intergalactic was the song that got me into the Beastie Boys, but really it is the hits from Licensed to Ill that really kept the Beastie Boys around in my life. While the songs have never had impact on my personal life as much as some of these other albums so far have... I really, really have a lot of fun listening to it... and how can you blame me? Tracks like Brass Monkey, Paul Revere, She's Crafty.... Fight For Your Right for f's sake. Incredible.

Check out: Paul Revere, Girls, No Sleep Til Brooklyn

78. Tripping Daisy - Jesus Hits Like an Atom Bomb (1998)
With Sonic Bloom receiving some airplay in the late 90's, I always had Tripping Daisy's one major hit in my head as a kiddo going to school. It wouldn't be until years later watching some "I Love the 90's" thing on Vh1 that I would even remember Tripping Daisy. Using my internet powers, I went and downloaded Jesus Hits Like an Atom Bomb. Unlike most albums on my list - I almost never listen to this album and it's not because I don't like it... I mean, I like it a lot - I just always seem to forget about it. I call it the Tripping Daisy Phenomena and it's awful because whenever I hear it - I'm like "OHHHH yeeeahhhhh!" I'm sure you all have your own version of the "Holy hell I forgot about this!" noise. Mine manifests as the "oh yeaah". Singer Tom DeLaughter, Bassist Mark Pirro and old drummer Dryan Wakeland would go on to form the Polyphonic Spree and drummer for this album, <insert name here> would go on to drum for the Secret Machines

Check out: Sonic Bloom, Field Day Jitters, Tiny Men

77. Walt Mink - El Producto (1996)
I am a well known Pitchfork basher, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that they've lead me to some great music. The reviewers piss me off though with their pretentiousness. But whatever. I found Walt Mink with a coveted Pitchfork "10" score. Later I would find out that PF would blame this rating on a writer they fired. Walt Mink, if anything, is just good indie rock coming out of grunge era of the early 90s. There isn't really a weak track on the album - but there is nothing spectacular as it were. I got everyone at my old job hooked on this group - and every time I had a shift - I'd hear, "Crowe, did you bring your iPod... think we could put on some Minkage?" - really a great album to make Sub sandwiches to. I've read that they sound like a poor man's Matthew Sweet, which I can see - but don't necessarily agree with.

Check out: Stood Up, Settled, Sunshine M.

Last edited by Crowe; 07-06-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote