Music Banter - View Single Post - The Definitve List: Most Overrated Bands\Artists ever
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #72 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

15. The Eagles

Most Overrated Album: Desperado
Most Overrated song: Witchy Woman\Take it Easy

There is nothing blatantly bad or objectionable about the Eagles. They don't suck totally, they are not pompous or arrogant, they even have a few real good albums, however they have a way of annoying people (especially me) that is matched or exceeded only by their fans. A lot of Eagles fans feel like the Eagles were the Beatles of the 70's and while shockingly, record sales are comparable, in terms of influence, impact and creativity it's like arguing that a lemon is sweeter then an apple.

The Eagles have a nice safe mellow sort of groove to their music it's not country, it's not blues, it's not rock and roll, it's what guys my age (apx 50) who were cargo shorts, open toed sandals and Sunglasses at night listen to. When's the last time you seen some kid rush into a record store and buy a crisp new copy of "Hotel California" or "The Long Ru"n. It's mostly because the Eagles are lame, but even if they wanted to hear the Eagles all you need to is turn on Classic Rock radio and wait until Stairway to Heaven finishes and surely an Eagles tune will pop up.

a brief personal note...

My son had a private bar tending Business in college and worked a party at a clients home who had a juke box installed in his basement\bar it had nine Eagles albums in it out of 25 total. My son, who was a pretty well known musician in the area gets pulled aside by this guy after the party and sat down and made to listen to the entire brand new "Long Road out of Eden" album. He came home and took a rape shower. That guy usually wears Cargo shorts and sandals.

Most egregious of all is what they did after they initial break-up in 1980. Amongst the crimes against music they commited:

Don Henley: Leather and Lace, Dirty Laundry and All she wants to do is Dance.

Glenn Frye: Party Town, Sexy Girl and The Heat is On.

and don't get started on hell freezes over.

Without Joe Walsh I'd have put a hit out on this group by now. And that if nothing else makes the the 15th most overrated band\artist of all-time.

Last edited by Son of JayJamJah; 07-07-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote