Music Banter - View Single Post - My proposal for country music
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Predator
Whatever

Default My proposal for country music

My mom and grandparents are and always have been huge country fans. I was raised listening to it half the time, and though my tastes generally tend to sway toward the rock/metal side of my upbringing, I still enjoy country music. What bothers me is putting artists like Trace Adkins, Shania Twain and Rascal Flats in the same group with Hank Williams, Loretta Lynn and The Oakridge Boys. Country of today is nothing like real country. With country having its roots in Gospel music, the subject matter of today alone shows that it isn't real country. You can argue that it is the evolution of country, but there are still elements missing. Staple instruments of country are now used as a gimmick rather than the base of the music. Fiddles, banjos and steel guitars are rarely heard and if they are, they aren't at the forefront of the music anymore.
My proposal is to stop bastardizing country music by calling the garbage of today country. Bands that sway to far from what country music should be should now be referred to as "southern pop". When you look at the fan base, artists, styles and sound of most "southern pop" acts, they have more in common with pop music than country music.
Any arguments?

I be a lunatic

The answer is hidden in plain view.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Predator is offline   Reply With Quote