Music Banter - View Single Post - Three J: Random Album Reviews
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

I had originally planned on doing another 60's review, but instead I'm breaking form and reviewing an album that I had forgotten about but come up on shuffle the other day...

1. "Fade Into You"
2. "Bells Ring"
3. "Mary Of Silence"
4. "Five String Serenade"
5. "Blue Light"
6. "She's My Baby"
7. "Unreflected"
8. "Wasted"
9. "Into Dust"
10. "So Tonight That I Might See"

This was the second and ultimately by far most successful album for Mazzy Star. They are most often classified as Dream Rock, which sounds like a made up genre to me, nonetheless to the point. The band burst onto the mainstream and my own conscious in 1993 when "Fade into You" became a moderate hit and a part of regular rotation on alternative and light rock stations. The song and the album both hold up pretty well.

"So Tonight That I Might See You" is an exercise in the pursuit of ultimately relaxing music. Combining sounds to create spiritual silence and while not a musical masterpiece a serviceable piece of art that can not be considered a failure in many if any respects. "Fade into Me" opens the album and perfectly sets the tone while more then peaking the interest of the first time listener. It's a wonderfully soothing track with a catchy but understated hook. There is uniformity throughout the tracks in the sense that regardless of timing or fullness of sound the melody i gentle and comforting, still there is variation between the style of the individual tracks. There are gentle electric tracks like "Blue Light" also"Unreflected" one of the standout acoustic led track and numbers like "She's My Baby" that have that familiar electric pulsing feel. Even the traditional 16 bar is re-imagined here with "Wasted" a sort of blues on Vicodin number. This is part of what drew me to this album, the ability of the band to use so much sound without crating any noise so to speak. "Into Dust" is maybe my favorite track and the one that brought me back to this album. It's not that it's an amazing musical composition it's just a song that really understands it's purpose and is executed to perfection. Musically this album is all over the place with elements of folk, psych, blues and pop rock music. It's a fascinating if ultimately forgettable record worth listening to. What more can you ask for?

Favorite Tracks: Into Dust, Fade into Me, Blue Light

Grade: B
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote