Music Banter - View Single Post - 200 greatest guitarists in rock
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #67 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by almauro View Post
The point is I'd put them ahead of Trey Gunn. I don't know what personal problem you have with Eddie Glass? Fu Manchu's "Daredevil" and "In Search of..." are classic Sabbathy/psychelic riffs inspired by Fun House era Stooges and Kyuss. Josh had already been edited out by Boo Boo so I didn't feel like beating a dead horse, but he was very influential with guitar tone, and I agree should be higher.
Eddie Glass is responsible for some of the worst guitar riffs ever. They are formulaic bordering upon insanity. In Search Of... is complete dreck. Every riff is laden with heavy distortion and the songs are trite and prescribed. He took from Kyuss and other desert rock acts and made it ****tier and ****ter until it was utterly indistinguishable as music. I tried time and time again to develop some respect or like for the band, but I have come to realize that Fu Manchu was nothing. They may not be the worst band ever, but I wouldn't call it a stretch to imagine it.

No, Eddie Glass doesn't deserve to be in the top 200 guitarists. Or 200,000, for that matter.