Music Banter - View Single Post - The Velvet Underground and Nico
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Double X
sleepe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Extremely well put and so succinct I'm chartreuse with envy. How do you feel about the rest of the VU disco'?
White Light/Heat is one of those controversial albums where it's sort of like a test - whether you are a diehard VU fan or not. Most of my friends dislike this album.

I always liked it though. It's like a 'disaster album' where they played something that no one ever really did before. This is one of the first musically 'ferocious' albums ever made apart from crazy jazzmen (I believe). White Light/White Heat is the most accessible and probably most people's favorite, but I am a huge fan of 'Here She Comes Now' and 'The Gift'. The Gift almost is the epitome of early VU lyrics, where it sounds like a regular song but if you look deep and listen to the lyrics it's one of the most depressing songs ever. The guy went to surprise his GF and gets cut in half - I mean what's worse than that.

I think this is just a step below the debut because of the lack of Nico (love her voice) and its a wee bit unlistenable at times. But if you can appreciate the experimental stuff they were doing, it's an another amazing album.

I need to listen to their 3rd album again because I haven't listened to it in awhile, but I thought it was a drastic change because Cale left they band and most his innovativeness left the band. Coming soon though.
Double X is offline   Reply With Quote