Music Banter - View Single Post - Who's The Better Elvis?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
WaspStar
Back to mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
If you want to ask "who was the better singer", then I think anybody with working ears can tell that the answer is clearly Presley. Really good voice.

Presley is not overrated either. Which claim about Elvis is suggestive of him being overrated? All people say is that he was a great singer and concert performer, which he was. Anybody who denies that has simply got to be an idiot. If he was neither, he would never have been the most popular singer on earth.
I have to disagree about the voices. Have you heard What's So Funny About Peace, Love, & Understanding or God Give Me Strength? Costello can be overambitious, but more often (those are the two tracks that immediately come to mind) he's up there with the greats.

People say that Presley had a great voice; I really don't think he did. I don't think he could sing rock very well (compare Jailhouse Rock to Maybellene, or even Rave On; the songwriting's not an issue here because a great rock singer can make even the worst songs sound great), and I don't think he was able to put the ballads across very well. You say that if Presley was not a great singer/performer, then he wouldn't have been the most popular singer on earth. Do you think Britney Spears (or any other "most popular" singer of the modern pop world) is a great singer/performer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseClams View Post
Costello is a great artist and i feel he may be slightly under-rated.

I think he's been cheated out of his rightful place in rock history. He wasn't as innovative as some of his contemporaries, but he wrote some amazing songs and, with the help of the Attractions, made some of the most memorable records of the late 70's and 80's.