Music Banter - View Single Post - Slavery
Thread: Slavery
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 01:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah View Post
you are right, slavery is always about exploitation,...HOWEVER i dont think its always about race, which is what people wanna jump to first

ok,...so y'all may lynch me for sayin this myself,....but yep, for the time period,.....i see slavery as a different kind fo social system, and one that was implimented for agricultural purposes,......yes, there were just as many poor whites workin fields as their were black,....do you think black people are the only folks out there who know how to pick cotton? if you read more about the king cotton south you'll learn that there were all different races doing this work, that information is compiled through old journals and the like of the time,......room and board counting as payment,.....yes, in my mind, in that time, i feel that it did,.....

sure is slavery is wrong, but it happened, and its not the end of the world like people wanna make it out to be
Someone get the tar and feather!

Ok, first of all, slavery in the American south was always inextricably tied to racism. It was based on the notion that black people were inherently inferior to whites and therefore can become property. Those poor white people you talk about were never anyone's property and could always stop picking cotton if they wanted to.

Also, I'm sure you know that black people were actually brought to the United States for the specific purpose of being used for labor. They were forcibly removed from their homes in Africa where they were perfectly able to fend for themselves and brought to a strange new continent.

And lastly, slavery is considered one of the worst things you can do to a person for a good reason. And it's actually still present, only it's not government sanctioned. Trafficking.

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote