Music Banter - View Single Post - Slavery
Thread: Slavery
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 02:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
savannah
afrocentric

Quote:
Someone get the tar and feather!

Ok, first of all, slavery in the American south was always inextricably tied to racism. It was based on the notion that black people were inherently inferior to whites and therefore can become property. Those poor white people you talk about were never anyone's property and could always stop picking cotton if they wanted to.
ok,......first of all, you have to understand that the victor writes the text book, SO,.....historically the south is gonna come out lookin 'evil' due to the slavery issue,.....i honestly believe that slavery was more about field hands than black skin,.....it just happened to work out that way,....

Quote:
Also, I'm sure you know that black people were actually brought to the United States for the specific purpose of being used for labor. They were forcibly removed from their homes in Africa where they were perfectly able to fend for themselves and brought to a strange new continent.

i mean, if you wanna blame someone, lets blame the dutch who brought them here,...its not like southern colonial americans said to themselves 'self, lets take a long as boat ride all the way to this africa place we've never even seen before,...and while we are there lets wrangle us up some black folks because they are black and we are better than them,....and lets make them our slaves'........no i dont think thats quite what happened,......slave owners saw them as a cheep effective way to tend their crops,........they didnt just hope up and go get them,.......

Quote:
And lastly, slavery is considered one of the worst things you can do to a person for a good reason. And it's actually still present, only it's not government sanctioned. Trafficking.

sure, its horrible,......but i didnt do it,....and the fact that i have a respect, intrest, and affection for the culture of the precivil war south doesnt make me a racist anymore than the next fella, and the comment made due to my cultural answer is rediculous,.....to single one bad thing out of a whole way of life and condem it is absurd, as all cultures have their own atrocities

all that time, wasted
i wish i was a little more delicate
i wish my
i wish my
i wish my
i wish my
i wish my name was clementine - sarah jaffe
savannah is offline   Reply With Quote