Music Banter - View Single Post - Slavery
Thread: Slavery
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 02:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah View Post
ok,......first of all, you have to understand that the victor writes the text book, SO,.....historically the south is gonna come out lookin 'evil' due to the slavery issue,.....i honestly believe that slavery was more about field hands than black skin,.....it just happened to work out that way,....
So how do you account for racism?

Quote:
i mean, if you wanna blame someone, lets blame the dutch who brought them here,...its not like southern colonial americans said to themselves 'self, lets take a long as boat ride all the way to this africa place we've never even seen before,...and while we are there lets wrangle us up some black folks because they are black and we are better than them,....and lets make them our slaves'........no i dont think thats quite what happened,......slave owners saw them as a cheep effective way to tend their crops,........they didnt just hope up and go get them,.......
I blame both actually, the ones who created the demand and those who satisfied their need for free labor. The fact that they weren't the first to think of enslaving people doesn't exonerate them from anything.

Quote:
sure, its horrible,......but i didnt do it,....and the fact that i have a respect, intrest, and affection for the culture of the precivil war south doesnt make me a racist anymore than the next fella, and the comment made due to my cultural answer is rediculous,.....to single one bad thing out of a whole way of life and condem it is absurd, as all cultures have their own atrocities
I have to agree on the last bit, most cultures have known of slavery in one form or another. I could have said I would have liked to have lived in ancient Rome and no one would have jumped on me about the fact that their entire civilization was based on slavery.

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote