Music Banter - View Single Post - The 60's Psych Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

Default The 60's Psych Thread

Pink Floyd at UFO Club

Reviews

Asylum Choir - Look Inside the Asylum Choir (1968)
Cream - Disraeli Gears (1967)
the Human Instinct - Stoned Guitar (1970)
Jefferson Airplane - After Bathing At Baxter's (1967)
Jefferson Airplane - Crown of Creation (1968)
July - July (1968)
Love Live Life + One - Love Will Make A Better You (1970)
Luv Machine - Luv Machine (1971)
the Misunderstood - Before the Dream Faded (1966)
The Mops - Psychedelic Sounds In Japan (1968)
Tomorrow - Tomorrow (1968)
Various Artists - Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era, 1965–1968

For clarity's sake, when I say 60's psych I refer to: psychedelic rock, psychedelic/baroque pop, experimental/avant-garde psych, psychedelic folk, garage rock... and personally I've not encountered anything that could be described as psychedelic (in the conventional sense) from any earlier than 1965. The cut-off year for the featured albums should be 1969 but there are some 1970/71 albums which probably warrant a mention...

Psychedelia typically incorporates: lyrics about psychotropics and perception of reality, a jazz/Eastern influence (modal structures), keyboards (melotrons, Vox and Hammond organs) and more often than not an abundance of studio effects (flanging, reverb, etc).

Since psych is one of the cornerstones of my musical worldview I intend to mend the gap and periodically post some reviews of what I consider to be essential albums. I won't be posting a review of Sgt.Pepper's or Revolver anytime soon because you can't move for reviews of the 'must own' classics these days; but the thread is open for anybody to post their own reviews within the 'psychedelic guidelines' above. In fact I implore people to participate as I'm not too good at this crap...

It might well be that many forum members find it all a bit dated and icky, but I would argue otherwise - without this period of development there'd be no: progressive rock, heavy metal, 'neo-psychedelia'/shoegaze, an awful lot of punk or indeed an awful lot of post-punk.

I'll crack on then! My first review up soon.

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her

Last edited by Molecules; 11-15-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote