Music Banter - View Single Post - The Definitve List: Most Overrated Bands\Artists ever
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 PM   #116 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGettinThatFaSho View Post
excuse me? do you have any idea what the **** you're talking abot? legend or not late 20's is WAY TO EARLY to die ok? and it dosen't matter because he was a ****ing legend!
I'm not on DJ Phoenix's side, but I think it important to recognize a musician for his music than for his death. As Kurt himself once quoted (a la Neil Young), "it's better to burn out than fade away."

And no, Cobain is not a legend. At least not musically. Grunge would have carried on without him. It just so happens that his death coincided with the apex of his career. Plus, people did what Cobain was doing a LONG time before he got there, like Joy Division, the Bunnymen and JAMC.

It IS sad that Kurt's life was so short, but please recognize him for what he actually did and don't remember him for what he wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeLittleHobbit View Post
Well, this is my first post. So, hello all. *waves hand briefly* Now that I've gotten that awkward introduction out of the way, I thought I'd post a short list of some of the artists I find overrated. Here goes:

1) Fall Out Boy- I can't stand the lead singer's wailing and screaming & I just don't get the whole 'emo' thing.
2) Queen- Sure, they have a few good songs, but do they compare with bands like Aerosmith and Van Halen? Hell no!
3) Bruce Springsteen- I find him to be the poor man's Bob Seger. I liked his newest single "Radio Nowhere," but other than that and "Born to Run" I don't see what's so special about him.
4) The Rolling Stones- Now, don't get me wrong, I really like the Stones. They are a GOOD band. The key word there is GOOD. But in no way are they on apar with The Beatles or Led Zeppelin. And for the record, I find the song "Satisfaction" to be one of the most overrated classic rock songs ever.
5) Pearl Jam- I like the song "Even Flow," but aside from that, I find their music (especially their new stuff!!) quite lousy.
6) Creed- God, I can't stand this mediocre biker band. The song "With Arms Wide Open" makes me want to puke! The singer's voice is rough and annoying & their attempt at a romantic song is laughable.
7) Marilyn Manson- He's ugly, he can't sing, and he's unimaginative. Goth rock has always been one of rock's more pathetic sub-genres, and Manson is no exception.

Well there you have it.
Couple things I have to say...

1) Welcome to the forums! If you want to introduce yourself more personally, you can go down to the 'Introductions' part of the forum (under The Lounge). We welcome all different tastes in music.

2) I think the offending misconception is that this is a list of overrated bands, not a list of bands that are bad. Bands like Fall Out Boy and Creed are not critically acclaimed by too many people (well, maybe pre-pubescent teenagers =P) and as such, don't really deserve a spot in an all-time "overrated" list.

3) I understand that these are your opinions (and far be it from me to offend you on your first post), but Queen, overrated?...come on! Brian May, one of the most gifted guitarists. Freddie Mercury, one of the most talented songwriters. Progressive icons in their own right, they were worshipped by millions prior to Mercury's untimely demise (and still are). Well, I suppose they are a tad bit overrated. But they were better than Aerosmith and Van Halen by a long shot. Technical wizardry is no guarantee of good music (more so Van Halen's case than Aerosmith), and in terms of songwriting ability, neither had it.

Last edited by lucifer_sam; 07-16-2008 at 11:08 PM.
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote