Music Banter - View Single Post - Kosmiche Musik/Krautrock
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #24 (permalink)
ShumanTheHuman
Groupie

Cope doesn't want a reprint and he seems to be in control of the situation
Check out ww.headheritage.co.uk/drude/qa/krautrock.php
Quote:
When I wrote the book, the main reason for doing so was to stop it getting mixed up with all that prog-rock crap that experimental fans love, and to introduce the word 'Krautrock' in a positive, pouting glamrock way. So many journalists pussyfooted around the term and called others xenophobic for using it, which was the main stumbling block in the way of its advancement. And Alan and Steve Freeman at Ultima Thule told me they'd been working on their tome [The Crack in the Cosmic Egg] for years but were spurred on to complete it purely because they knew I was getting mine out first. I don't feel like really updating the book much - it's a period piece written at a time when no ****er was interested and now all these neo-Krautheads are at me saying it's out of date. **** them! I never was a completist or a purist, but I define things that others are too frightened to attempt. Of course the book is out of date now - but that only shows how successful it has been, because wussies like Q hacks now deign to interview Amon Duul 2, etc. when they wouldn't have previously stuck their necks out an inch. And remember that the 10,000 sales doesn't include the German language edition which has been really well received. If it hadn't been, then the German publisher wouldn't have been a full-on head like Werner Pieper, who was Guru Guru's first manager and one of the greatest be-dreadlocked and forward-thinking Mother****ers I ever did meet. Krautrock is about enlightenment not complete-ism for some bourgeois record-collector to get purist about.
So reckon e-bay is your best bet.

A semi-obscure Krautrock band I really like are Mythos. They were at the space rock end of the spectrum on the two albums I have, their debut and 1975s Dreamlab. The only clip I can find of them is on the every reliable prog archives:ww.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=701

The 15 posts url rule sucks
ShumanTheHuman is offline   Reply With Quote