Music Banter - View Single Post - PROGRAMMING / SEQUENCING - are thet really music making?
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 11:00 AM   #30 (permalink)
spook
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
How is music made on a computer not real music? ._.... Cos it's "Made" and not "PLAYED" - If I have to explain, you'll never understand

I personally don't have enough money for a drum set or a saxophone or the plethora of instruments I'm able to use while creating music on a computer. ._....Nor do most of us

I only have an electric guitar and a keyboard for real...So learn to play them well, or is that too much like hard work?

I can use every instrument on computers, and it sounds real sop what's the problem?...Unless you can play every instrument you "use", you have no real concept how they should "feel"

It's perfectly playable with real instruments anyway. ...I've NEVER heard a guitar "Played" on computer that sounds even vaguely convincing - that goes for most string instuments played with a pick, they just sound WRONG, even sampled and sequenced "real" instruments fail in this department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Bands like Led Zeppelin ARE still around. They're just filled with idiots or wrinkly old men who have nothing to add to the musical world whatsoever except old rehashes of things.
Yeah, but at least they played their instruments, and spurred on literally millons of others to do the same.

While I agree the computer can be an amazing tool, it's still soulless, emotionless and bland when used as an "Instrument", and probably always will be.

Ask any aspiring musician who their influences are, and I'll guarantee 98 - 99 % of them will be REAL musicians,who play REAL instruments, not "programmers" or "assemblers" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
I hardly think my musical taste screams sheep or emporers new clothes. Besides that, I have an A level in music degee and will be working towards a degree in music and popular musics come september, along with my near decade of guitar playing...I have an honours degree in music, taught music in schools, and have been a professional musician probably longer than you've been alive, playing and recording everything from classical to death metal, on guitar, bass, keyboard and violin so don't try to impress me with qualifications. It don't work!

So basically what I'm trying to say is: You fail at life ....When you have as many friends, a great family, a brilliant and financially stable lifestyle and a few quid in the bank, i.e your life is better than mine, then you'll be entitled to call me a failure - BUT NOT UNTIL THEN! now please let go of your idiotic misconceptions ..only in your mind and appreciate the sounds made rather than the method of making them.....Strikes me you're very blinkered,
I started this thread, being very tongue in cheek, to get some opinions and lively debate, but it seems you're not capable of making a case without resorting to personal insult of everything and everyone you don't agree with.
GROW UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltzer View Post
Or maybe they're just fans who like the music?

Each to their own

I think you'll be hard pressed to claim that King Crimson is emotionless...Great band! - ELP and Hawkwind also... But that's the typical attack on prog... if a few musicians are a wee bit more experimental and perhaps less restrained with their chops than your typical classic rock musicians,...Nothing wrong with restraint - less is more!..... let's assume they're pretentious and dub them as emotionless sterile old men....