Music Banter - View Single Post - The Complete Discography thread Van Morrison
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #41 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default A Period of Transition (1977)

Van’s first album back from hiatus following Veedon Fleece is 1977’s “A Period of Transition. Van was very reclusive during his respite from the music industry. His only live performances were alongside “The Band” at the Last Waltz and a few small shows with little if any promotion. Expectations were very high for the prolific songsmith who had already redefined “white” R&B music in America and the Western Europe. Perhaps Van summed up his feelings on the need for the break and the unwelcome pressure it brought to him best.

“I think I needed to break a lot of that expectancy down. I know from experience that I go to see some artists expecting a particular thing. If they don't come up with that then I'm disappointed, but if I have no expectations they usually do something I haven't heard before and I'm turned on. The moment you expect something, you never get it.”

A Period of Transition (1977)

Van’s return to the forefront and to the critical eye of the public was largely greeted with mild to disappointed reviews and reaction. Morrison teamed up with Dr. John Rebennack to create a Jazz\Blues fueled album to signify a sort of transition both back to creating music and to a more up-beat positive outlook in the world of his songs. Featuring several good songs, but lacking a real stand-out it’s an album that gets better as it progresses and as I it ages but never elevates itself to elite status for most fans. I was pleasantly surprised with how much I still enjoyed a few tracks but almost tempted to skip a few listens on the review of some of the others. All and all here’s the nuts and bolts…

1. You Gotta Make it Through the World – Engineered to be a gospel blues number it starts with a funky Blues intro the opening track serves to further elevate the already colossal expectations of Fans for the return album. But that enthusiasm is tempered quickly as the song fails to live up to expectations. Mundane and ordinary, not flawed in a bad way, but not flawed in a good way either. Powered by horns and a heavy handed baseline it’s a climb that leaves you looking up at the summit. With sparse moments of glory every now and then it’s an overall good song that needed to be great. 7\10

2. It Fills you up – With punishing horns and producer Mac (Dr. John) Rebennack on the keys the subsequent number on “…period…” is another just short of complete composition, but a step in the right direction. A Jazzy Country-Blues gait gets your toe-tapping but the repetitive circular construction of the song fails to captivate you. Even as Van leaves us with a hearty growl and soulful final chorus there is still a sense of “what if” that is unsettling or perhaps disappointing. Borrowing from the acclaim of recent live performances, the improvisational feel of the lyrics and the drawn out endings of both of the first two numbers feels so much more rehearsed and tame then those of his previous works. Still a quality song. 7.5\10

3. The Eternal Kansas City – After a choir bellows out the harmonious tag line in ethereal fashion; the Jazzy rhythms continue to provide the albums atmosphere. Van and all the instruments in sync as that constant question “excuse me do you know the way to Kansas City?” is pondered. All colliding and collapsing into a bouncy R&B verse. A song of inspiration and perseverance it continues a rather upbeat feeling that is present throughout all the opening tracks of the album. Combining several of the elements present throughout the record in one composition points to it as the vertex track for the album. 8\10

4. Joyous Sound – A quick stepping romp of a song. Simple musically, lyrically and thematically its beauty is its effortlessness. Piano’s and horns continue to stand out giving the music a professional but somewhat cold feel without the right mood provided. Van gives some of his most dynamic vocals screaming out the opening of an occasional chorus. This is Morrison let loose and just performing, centered on his musical roots; it’s a throwback with a new twist. A song that grows on you with time. 7\10

5. Flamingos Fly – More Jazz with an element of funky R&B as the keys back a snappy chugging guitar rhythm. Horns move the song into the mellow and melodic chorus. The Vocals are a perfect fit and for the first time on the album a song really captures that Van energy and enthusiasm. A song recorded in mid-tempo and at a slow pace as well before being released at a moderately quick gait. Van has never performed the song live. The song is loaded with creativity taking the scenic route to simplicity. It’s a joy to move through each note. 8\10

6. Heavy Connection – Horns introduce the song, mellow guitars and keys move the melody in lockstep with Van’s vocals. A Country-Blues number on the surface, but an oeuvre of a more personal nature as reveled in each note he hums throughout the chorus and when bellowing the title line. A song that builds with each movement, layered and elegantly constructed. The horn solo interlude is the standout musical moment of the album. Powerful and poignant for the first time on the album; a spiritual song about the pleasures of life and love. Van carries the music home with an improvised testimonial (“I can’t stop this rainbow in my Soul”) over the invigorating chorus as the song fades into the distance. 8.5\10

7. Cold Wind in August – The most ominous song of the bunch with a sort of Veedon Fleece element meets the optimistic demeanor of the album overall. More subtle horns and keys and a bluesy guitar lead accompanied by basic bass and drums. A noble song that sort of takes you for a final stroll to conclude the album. Following the rules from start to finish it’s an exercise in writing a sad song with an optimistic feel. Just a little bit too well constructed and without the evolution necessary to grab your attention. 7.5\10

…The problem with this album is that expectations were unrealistic, for the first time I found myself disappointed by the first listen. However as you step back from your initial hopes you realize this album stands tall on its own merits. The jump in enjoyment is noticeable from the second listen and only gets better from there. It’s another consistently exceptional musical opus. The lack of risk taking is significant only in that the theme and title ring true; it’s a warm-up album, a period of transition into the next phase of Van’s life and thus his musical career and persona. Gone (for now) is the somber Belfast Cowboy who silently stalked the music in Astral Weeks and Veedon Fleece most notably. The new Van is a more sanguine and insightful poet who aspires to create harmonies and melodies that hypnotize and soothe. “A Period of Transition” is a noble step in the right direction and a testament to artists’ perseverance and ultimately his destiny to create and perform music.

Defining Track(s): “Eternal Kansas City” is the center of the album but “Heavy Connection” and “Flamingos Fly” demonstrate the two extremes of the album musically and are the best representations of a successful transition.
Line in my head: “Excuse me do you know the way to Kansas City”
Christagu’s Take: "It Fills You Up" and "Heavy Connection" work on chant power alone, but even they go on a little too long, and in general this is an unexciting record--but not definitively. It's full of the surprising touches--the (borrowed) instrumental intros to the blues that opens side one and the jump tune that opens side two, a throw-in couplet about Amsterdam that might as well have Van's fingerprints on it, and even the can't-always-get-what-you-need chorus on "Eternal Kansas City"--that signify talent putting out. I don't know; maybe that's depressing proof that this isn't just a warm-up. But after three years, let's say it is. B

Star rating: (1-5) (from my personal catalog) *** 1\2
How it made me feel today: (1-10): 7.5
Overall Ranking: TBD

Next up: Wavelength - 1978
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote