Music Banter - View Single Post - PROGRAMMING / SEQUENCING - are thet really music making?
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #32 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spook View Post
Yeah, but at least they played their instruments, and spurred on literally millons of others to do the same.

While I agree the computer can be an amazing tool, it's still soulless, emotionless and bland when used as an "Instrument", and probably always will be.

Ask any aspiring musician who their influences are, and I'll guarantee 98 - 99 % of them will be REAL musicians,who play REAL instruments, not "programmers" or "assemblers" .
And what about music composed without the aid of any instrument at all OR a computer? Joe Satriani did that with midnight and had to learn to adapt to a completely new style of playing in order to record it.

Or music composed for instruments other than the composers? Yoko Kanno for example composes piece for everything from synths to orchestras, yet she plays the piano.

I'm not saying that playing an instrument isn't a worthwhile pursuit or skill, I'm saying that you are COMPLETELY missing the point of computer synthesis. The aim is NOT to reproduce sounds exactly, the aim is to make any sound possible given due care and attention. Although it can certainly be harnessed for such purpose, and programs such as Symphonic orchestra gold are, in listening tests, almost indistinguishable from the actual thing, a great advantage for those of us who want to add an extra facet to a song without having to hire a concert hall, mics, mixers, players, and then write the music on top of all that!

You treat sequenced music as if it all sounds like midi beeps and nes chips. It seems to me that rather than giving it a chance, you've let a presupposition completely dictate your attitude to something. Or, worse, you've let your original opinion on sequenced or synthesized sounds remain constant while the world has moved on and improved those technologies and invested more time and effort into them for any number of purposes.

In short, I think you're just being foolish and trying to treat music as if it should bend to your whims. Music has always evolved through technology, be it the movement from harpsichord to piano, nylon strings to steel, etc. None of that makes what came before any less valid but to dismiss a technology completely that is, with due time and effort, capable of reproducing ANY SOUND AUDIBLE TO THE HUMAN EAR, is lunacy in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote