Music Banter - View Single Post - Three J: Random Album Reviews
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 01:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default Camel - Breathless

1. "Breathless"
2. "Echoes"
3. "Wing and a Prayer"
4. "Down on the Farm"
5. "Starlight Ride"
6. "Summer Lightning"
7. "You Make Me Smile"
8. "The Sleeper"
9. "Rainbow's End"

Genre: English Progressive Rock
Year: 1978

Camel was a sort of under the radar band for most of the 70's and a had a few pretty good albums. This I'd say, while not the best, is one of the good ones. Guitar player\Frontman Andrew Latimer is a founding member and still performs under the name Camel with a new band. The rest of the line-up consisted of the late Peter Bardens on keyboards\piano\organs. He would leave the band following the release of the album to join Van Morrison's newly assembled Wavelength band. Also Mel Collins on flute and saxophone. Collins spent time with several 70's prog giants including The Alan Parson's Project, Caravan and King Crimson. Richard Sinclair who had come out of retirement to fill in on this album on bass and then mainstay Andy Ward on drums

Camel's sound was typically driven by heavy harmonies and technically proficient musicianship. They were often times an instrumental heavy band and much to the delight of their fans. This is true in both "echoes" and "Sleeper" perhaps the two best tracks on the whole. Still, this album experimented a little more with the different influences of their overall sound. Spanning jazz and country as well rock style songs with more vocals then the norm, the album moves at a more brisk pace then fans of the group were accustomed to. Tracks like "Breathless" and "Wing and a Prayer" are the type of symphonic odes you'd expect, but the heavy handed "Down on the Farm" is an anything but subtle landslide of sound. Contrasted with the slower melodic "Starlight Ride", "Rainbows End" and "Summer Lightning" it's a nice change of tempo . Throw in the jazzy "You make me smile" and you got a full plate and worthwhile album.

I give it Three out of Four Humps.

Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote