Music Banter - View Single Post - Zep Vs. The Who
Thread: Zep Vs. The Who
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 03:06 AM   #246 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

A lot, but most of whats bene proven to actually be stolen material is almost always the lyrics, primarly on their first 2 albums.

Songs like Dazed & Confused, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, In My Time of Dying, When the Levee Breaks and (half of) Bring It on Home are uncredited covers. Though they are radically altered and different from the originals to the extent that I think the band still deserves some writing credit for them. They also took writing credit for covers of traditional songs with no credited writer. Like Black Mountain Side, Gallows Pole and White Summer.

Other songs like The Lemon Song, How Many More Times and Whole Lotta Love took parts from old blues songs but consisted mostly of original material, but that dosen't stop idiots from calling them uncredited covers. Theres other songs that took lyrics but nothing else.

It should be noted that pretty much all of the songs in question are their blues songs, and it's not uncommon at all for blues artists to "borrow" riffs or lyrics, its considered completely acceptible, and of course rappers use samples all the damn time. Of course hypocrites will overlook this.

Zeps non-blues oriented songs (which tend to be my favorite songs from them anyway) are 100% written by the Zep. Though people make a huge deal out of the opening guitar part of Stairway being similar (but not indentical) to the riff from a Spirit song called Taurus.

Not like any of this matters anyway, it only makes Zeppelin the greatest cover band ever.

Which reminds me, most Zeppelin bashers are also Radiohead fans. And lets take a look at some of the stuff they "borrowed", which is acceptible as long as it's not Zep.

Just - Riff sounds like SLTS.
Karma Police - Very similar piano line to Sexy Sadie.
Idioteque - Features samples of Paul Lansky.
Pyramid Song - Has a lyric taken from a Tom Waits song.
I Might Be Wrong - The basic riff sounds an awful lot like the riff to Beck's Loser.
Knives Out - Main riff sounds almost indentical to Paranoid Android, *******s stole FROM THEMSELVES.
Go to Sleep - The solo sounds very similar to Adrian Belews solo in the Talking Heads song Born Under Punches.
Last Flowers - Chorus sounds a LOT like Karma Police, yep they stole from themselves again.

See, just like Zep bashers do, I just copy and pasted all of this, and I can now say with complete confidence that Radiohead are talentless pieces of **** and are one of the worst bands of all time.

Do I sound bitter? Because I'm not.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.