Music Banter - View Single Post - Can you recommend small instruments for camping
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Enter_Narne
Groupie

On the topic of a small instrument that sounds like a guitar. I tried researching what makes a guitar sound like a guitar. From what I've read, please correct me if I'm wrong, a string is plucked, causing it to vibrate, this in turn resonates in a chamber. Different tones are achieved by pressing on the string to effectively shorten it and the wavelength of its vibrations. Add a few more strings and you can play many more notes.

So I started researching rudimentary instruments that use a string(s). These include the cigar box guitar, the strumstick, the musical bow. The musical bow is the one that comes the closest to what I'm looking for. But, I wonder if it can be made even more simple or smaller than a string stretched on a flexible stick.

Has anyone here ever seen someone attach a string to their shoe and then attach the other end of the string to a mouthpiece and then inserted the mouthpiece into their mouth? The mouthpiece would allow for the musician to adjust the shape of his/her mouth to change the sound of the vibrating string. In effect, the musician's mouth becomes the resonance chamber and the rest of their body becomes the neck of a "guitar."
Enter_Narne is offline   Reply With Quote