Music Banter - View Single Post - The Definitve List: Most Overrated Bands\Artists ever
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 11:40 PM   #148 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
Compared to whom? Ringo Starr?
Now you're just being dificult on purpose.

Quote:
I apologize for bringing my personal feelings into this. After spending a few hours reviewing their talents, I have objectively concluded that The Beach Boys were indeed a steaming pile of shit.

I must apologize again. I called Carl and Dennis horrible musicians, but...where's the music to show they were ever musicians? Carl's EXTEMELY limited skills on guitar allowed him to play a few scales, while Dennis was absent or nearly so from most of their recordings. But I have to give them credit. The Beach Boys realized a LONG time before The Monkees did the wonders of session musicians.
And whats wrong with that? I've always thought of The Beach Boys as being more of a collective than a band. Who cares if Carl is not a great guitarist or if Dennis is not a great drummer? Has anyone ever called them such? I don't recall anyone ever raving about Carl as a guitarist or Dennis as a drummer. But they did their job and it's not like the ever f*cked anything up on record. The praise has always been directed at Brian Wilson and deservedly so. He's the writer and producer. And thats always been what the Beach Boys were about, the melody and vocal harmonies and the production.

Quote:
And the post-Beach Boys Brian Wilson equally so. I implore you not to romanticize about Brian's insanity as evidence of his creative expression (a la Syd Barrett). The bird flew a LONG time before Smile was written.
For one, Wilson is a better songwriter than Barrett (sue me, it's true) and no I'm not gonna use his insanity as proof of his genius. His music is a better example.

Smile was a great piece of work btw.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote