Music Banter - View Single Post - The Great File Sharing Debate: Is it changing music?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sparky
not really

You gotta be a little more specific as to what your question is. Obviously file sharing is changing music the music industry, but whether its negative or positive is the question.

Some artists benefit from the use of easily having their music shared globally, lots of 'ring tone' rap artists are huge because of things like file sharing.

Obviously though, its causingdamage to the record labels. While some artists are in love with this trend towards everyone being indie (i remember reading an interview with iggy pop where he was all for the music labels destruction).

I think the RIAA is going about it wrong , they're not going to be able to slow it down, so instead of trying to scare people away from it, they should look at new ways to get the youth to purchase the music. People downloading songs illegaly off the web is of course some of the reason sales are going down, but it can't be the only reason. I think younger audiences today just aren't as interested in a complete album.

If people were downloading everything, DVD and Video game sales would be going down, but they're higher then ever.

I thought how RadioHead did it was clever, i also think NIN newest album was being given away for free.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote