Music Banter - View Single Post - Is racism REALLY that relevant in music?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 06:33 AM   #31 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piss Me Off View Post
I doubt Lydon is really racist, wasn't he hanging about in ska clubs before the Pistols? You could say that that isn't enough to say he isn't racist but then would a racist really hang around in a mainly black scene?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer
It is quite funny that some people call the early skinhead scene racist when they were listening to Reggae and Ska especially in England late 60's/early 70's and indeed beyond with 2 tone.
The skinhead scene continued listening to ska right up to the 80s and through the National Front times. In fact it was the great irony of the scene that they clung in diehard fashion to ska music while being blatant full-blown National Front campaigner racists.

Also that Lydon hung out in ska clubs says nothing about whether or not he was racist. Loads of extremely racist white Americans in the 1950s used to listen to rhythm and blues with a passion. Liking a certain type of music does not indicate that you tolerate the people who made it. The music itself is a separate entity to the personalities behind it. I love a lot of Michael Jackson's material. I still would have loved the music even if it turned out he had been guilty. Also, just what is a "ska club" anyway? It could have been a club full of white people that listened to ska.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote