Music Banter - View Single Post - Is racism REALLY that relevant in music?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #36 (permalink)
WaspStar
Back to mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post

It certainly took a while for the brothers in rock n roll to get any respect. Elvis, Jerry Lee, Buddy Holly, Ricky Nielson, Bill Haley and all those guys had to break into the scene first before black rock n roller's could ever be accepted by the mainstream. So until kids were finally free to listen to Little Richard, they had to settle for Pat, dark ages indeed.
Even today, some rock historians give Holly more credit than they give Berry, even though Berry came first and has more of a claim to the "original singer-songwriter-guitaris" tag. I think it's pretty sad that Little Richard doesn't get much credit either (I'm not a fan of his music, but I think he was far more inventive and possibly influential than many of his contemporaries).

But yeah, Pat Boone's work is wretched, and I think it's proof that there was some sort of racism back then that people would buy the "safe" versions of rock songs (i.e., made by a white guy).