Music Banter - View Single Post - Zep Vs. The Who
Thread: Zep Vs. The Who
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #266 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
You're wasting your time. =D

EDIT: Okay fine, sampling is not plagiarism because most often only tiny fragments of songs are used.
Not really, in the old days rap songs sampled pretty heavly and it often made up the whole beat for a song, seriously you could listen to any P-Funk or War song and rest assured that there was one rap song that stole the whole bassline from it and ran with it.

C'mon, DJ Shadow made a whole goddamn album out of sampling other peoples material and you're telling me its no big deal? But Zeppelin playing an incredibly generic simple guitar part that just happens to sound samilar to something another band used is?

I could name other songs that sound samilar to the Stairway riff other than Taurus, that just means certain melodies are very simple and thus its not unusual to find god knows how many songs that may have a similar version of that melody. Its just like how Smells Like Teen Spirit is accused of being a ripoff of at least a dozen different songs that all have a similar riff.

Stairway isn't anymore similar to Taurus than say, Nothing at All by Gentle Giant.

This song predates Stairway by a year, and it just as likely inspired it as Taurus did, even the beginning vocals sound very similar. If you ask me it's bull****, you write anything in a given style, scale or time signature, with all the music in the world theres gonna be something similar.

Example.

And those are just a few examples, metal bands rip off each other all the time, so do punk bands.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.