Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Black Sabbath Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Absolutely no offense to Ozzy or Tommi or any of the band but if this group had one great song writer they could have surpassed everyone with the exception of the Beatles maybe and ushered in the metal age 10 years sooner then it's finally came.

I loved Paranoid as a kid, it came out right as my balls dropped and I can't help thinking that was more then coincidence.
Sometimes is it not about surpassing but merely being consistent at what they do. Sabbath (by their own admission) were a bunch of Toerags from Brum who could barely play a note between them, yet they became possibly THE quintessential Metal band. Coincidentally another band from Brum also had a massive bearing on Metal and that was Judas Priest. The whole image and direction that Priest gave us is exactly the reason why Metal became a laughing stock and one of the reasons why I shaved my head and ditched my leathers. HOWEVER 'Sad Wings Of Destiny' deserves serious re-appraisal and is one of the best Metal albums ever recorded.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote