Music Banter - View Single Post - The Crowe 100
Thread: The Crowe 100
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowe
Music Addict

72. The KLF - Chill Out (1990)
I am not a very big ambient music listener. Strike that... I don't listen to much electronic music at all. This makes it all the more odd that The KLF could slip this little bastard into my life. The first listen, I was intrigued... I didn't know what to make of the album, of course I'd heard electronica/ambient music before but it was always so rushed, so isolated... never really listened to a whole album. Chill Out is beautiful. Listen to it from start to finish and you get to experience the fully fleshed out environments - and some great concept songs. "Rock Radio into the Nineties and Beyond" seems to be an auditory collage of the guitars that made up rock music through the decades... you hear a little bit of everything - from the twangy sputterings of early 50's rockers, to the Hendrix psychedelic wailings - Heavy metal of the 70s to New Wave rockers in the 80s and finally the grunge/shoegaze of the 90s. This is music made from random keyboards, goat sounds, airplane engines and Elvis Presley. Put this on before you go to sleep.

Check out: Rock Radio into the Nineties and Beyond, Elvis on the Radio Steel Guitar in my Soul, Wichita Lineman Was a Song I Once Heard

71. Suicidal Tendencies - S/T (1983)
Really one of the only hardcore bands I could ever listen to for more than 20 minutes, Suicidal Tendencies was more or less lost to me after my teen angst/rebellion phase... until Guitar Hero II came out. When I came to the level of GH2 where you had to play this song, I chuckled... oh Suicidal Tendencies, what a nostalgic song... and I listened to it and realized that, "holy cow there was a reason I loved this band as a 14 year old..." I quickly dug through my burned CDs and found Lights, Camera, Action and their S/T. I went and downloaded the entire discography -- and found that their debut album held sway over my ears. What can you say about the music? I mean you have Mike Muir straight up shouting his lungs out backed up by guitars which you COULD hear better but your ears are bleeding. But more importantly, in my mind, is the lyrical content of this album. Luckily for listeners, Muir can be understood when he "sings" - unlike a lot of Thrash/hxc bands. If you really wanna piss off Mom, play I Saw Your Mother(and your mother's dead). While I don't listen to this album anymore - it most certainly was one of my milestone albums when it comes to life changes.

Check out: Institutionalized, I Saw Your Mother (And Your Mother's Dead), Human Guinea Pig

70. Regina Spektor - Begin To Hope (2006)
While this album contains none of my top 10 favorite songs from her, as an album it is my favorite. I'd be lying if I didn't say that the connection I make with it emotionally doesn't have an effect on my choice, but that's the point of this "Introspective 100" isn't it? I'd heard of Regina through my uber-trendy arts college roommates and it took me about a year to give her a listen. This was only after I saw the music video for "Fidelity". I saw this cute little lady playing with colored sand. Not to mention the song is beautiful pop. I quickly snagged the album - then discography - and found that I was absolutely in love with this anti-folk, Russian girl playing piano. Her use of diaphragmatic-centric vocal stylings with her lyrics that are cute as well as really clever. This album was the soundtrack to my winter of 2007 when I was standing on the L in the -15 degree weather... dying. I encourage you to listen to all of her albums though.

Check out: Samson, Apres Moi, That Time

69. Fats Domino - Rock and Rollin' With Fats Domino (1956)
Fats Domino. Really enough said. Elvis mentioned Fats in particular when he disagreed with the claim that he invented Rock and Roll. "You know I could never sing like Fats Domino, come on." The King said. Aint It A Shame is one of my favorite songs of all time. If I ever make a top 100 songs list... expect to see that in the top 10. Fats was my gateway artist when I decided to go back and visit the roots of this thing called Rock and Roll. Give it up for his second (of MANY) albums. Try and NOT dance, I dare you.

Check out: The Fat Man, Aint It a Shame, My Girl Josephine

Last edited by Crowe; 07-27-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote