Music Banter - View Single Post - Pop, is it corporate garbage or does it have it's merits?
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #316 (permalink)
TROY148
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piss Me Off View Post
Well using those examples the likes of Avril Lavigne have a completely different aim with the music compared to Radiohead. In the same way that her songs may not have the same level of depth to Radiohead's songs, Radiohead haven't got any music that is that universally loved by the casual music crowd that like their music quick and cheerful.
And then there are far better artists than her who have produced incredible pop songs that give more than a 'little high'. For a song to get stuck in someone's head so much that they have to play it constantly i think there has to be a lot of technical ability in songwriting.
Yes, there is crap in the charts but not enough to say the whole thing is garbage.
I had my i-tunes library on random earlier today and I ran into a song by Kelly Rowland titled, "Like This". The lyrics were pointless and rather foolish, but I couldn't stop listening. There was this kind of synthesized riff in the song that played at intervals and I found myself waiting for it to come back. That's what I mean by a high, it was that one part that kept me listening and when the song was done there wasn't much that had me wanting to play it again. But I agree with you that pop music has an aim to appeal to people which is partly why it seems a bit "dumbed down" to many.
TROY148 is offline   Reply With Quote