Music Banter - View Single Post - Looking for music schools
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 01:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Most good music schools are far more expensive than regular schools (seeing as they're all private). Scholarships are very, VERY rare, and given only to the exceptional of the exceptional (you need to be exceptional just to get in). If you think you can study abroad for free you're gravely mistaken, and either way you can't be assured of a job upon graduation. No, your best bet is to get into a state school and exercise your musical desires as a minor or a double major (which is what I intend to do). That, or hire a tutor and practice, practice until the blood leaves your fingers.

I'm not saying that schools for music are bad or otherwise pointless. There are countless musicians who are products of Berklee and learned their craft there. But there are countless more who are unemployed. And that's the real conundrum. Are you willing to spend your life in debt to a school which never offered you appreciable skills for a working environment?

All I'm saying is consider the financial ramifications before you decide what to do. But make sure you pursue your dreams, whatever path you elect to take.