Music Banter - View Single Post - HEY NOOBS! Want a band or song recommendation? Don't start a new thread-POST HERE!
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 06:03 AM   #67 (permalink)
whogivesaflux
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMusic View Post
What rock bands are around that have: heavy guitar, medium drumming, and no screaming

Please, no gothic, emo, or death bands.

Something like Godsmack

By heavy guitar and medium drumming I mean:
The guitar stands out more than anything else
The drumming is somewhere in the middle of the sound following the guitar

My description of music is f'in horrible

Your description is pretty perfect to me, but I'm glad you have a sense of humor. There are literally hundreds of excellent bands that I could recommend to you.

First of all, let me please ask you a few important questions that will GREATLY help to shape my specific recommendations to you:

How old are you?

Are you a musician?

If you were to name a single favorite band that has most inspired your patronage of the years, what band/artist would that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacem5 View Post
I have been trying to find new music to listen to.I am looking for something that is similar to the SRV style I love the way he sounds,the blues with a bit of a rock edge.,I have recently listen to Los Lonley Boys "Forgiven"which I like very much.The track "Heart won't tell a lie" is by far my favorite.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Some of my favorites include SRV,Jimmy Hendrix Blues album,some Mannish Boys and Ted Nugents live version of Strangle hold.

I have HUNDREDS of recommendations for you but I need to zero in a bit to figure out what recommendations you may already be familiar with.

Please answer me these questions:

How old are you?

Are you familiar with: Jimmy Thackery, Robin Trower or Frank Marino?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglezfan2093 View Post
Can You reccomend some bands to me?
Bands that I like alot:

Rammstein
KMFDM
Guns n Roses
Grateful Dead
Rage against the machine
Led Zeppelin

Other likes (not love but like )

Aerosmith
Styx
Jimi Hendrix
Blink 182

I know its kind of a wide variety of music, but can you tell me some bands that are kind of in the middle or just ones that sound like certain bands i've noticed.

You have excellent taste in music!

Check out: (if you haven't already)

Argyle Park
Celldweller
Circle of Dust
el dopa
Stuck Mojo
P.O.D.
Bio Hazard
Psychotica
Ministry
Infectious Grooves
Static-X
Bootsauce
Bikini Machine
Killing Joke (specifically Pandemonium)
L.U.N.G.S.
Lords of Acid (VooDoo-U)
Rob Zombie & White Zombie
Methods of Mayhem
God Lives Under water
Spine Shank
Pitch Shifter
Front Line Assembly
Skinny Puppy
Richard D. James (Aphex Twin, very IDM and not all heavy, but the stuff that is, is excellent!)
Fear Factory
H.I.M. (Uneasy Listening Vol. 2)

many, many more but this will allow me to best understand what you may already be familiar with.

My personal favorite type of music currently is of a heavy nature, but is fused with electronic sequencing & synthesis. Nu-Metal (and other moderately heavy/hard styles) of real musicianship meets IDM which is pretty much something that KMFDM invented. Some people call everything with distorted guitar samples "Industrial Metal" but to me it's just so diverse in orientation with respect to infused styles that I have a hard time just "lumping" it all into one big pot. I just tend to call it "Heavy/Funky Sequenced" music.

I have been doing my best to get into Limp Bizkit lately but their best songs are tough to listen to because of the immature gangsta rap mentality. Tough is good, but the ol' "Look at me, I'm gonna kick yer arse & I'm a bad motherfecker, I'm a bad mother wrecker, feck you and the rest of the world, I'm a bad muthah leper" is just too egotistical for me. Some of their lyrical content is COMPLETELY removed from this "kid who just got outta jail mentality" imaging howeve,r and is actually deep/meaningful as all heck. The one thing that stands tall and true for me though is the SUPERB axemanship. That guy is a monstrously good guitarist and the production value of the music itself as a whole is killer. I just try and block out the dumb ****z.
whogivesaflux is offline   Reply With Quote