Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #1236 (permalink)
lesamourai
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Orson Welles is unknown? Virtually everyone has heard of 'Citizen Kane'. If not then 'The Third Man' not to mention 'Transformers:The Movie'.
I think you're overestimating the intelligence (filmwise) of your average movie goer. I'd be willing to place money on the fact that if you walked into any random showing of The Dark Knight or The Mummy 3 only a minority percentage would know who Welles is or be able to name a film. Same for Kurosawa, whom you mentioned.

Quote:
A 'cult' director would be someone with a very small following and is only appreciated in small circles. Anyone with even just a vague passing in movies have heard of Cronenberg, yet name say Brakhage for example and then we are talking about a cult following.
I'd agree that Brakhage would be considered a cult director, along with other "pure cineasts", but just because Cronenberg has a wider cult following doesn't make him any less of a cult director. Rocky Horror Picture Show is certainly a cult film, but I'd bet more people in your average theater audience have heard of it than of The Third Man.

Quote:
Most movie goers would probably say 'Seven Samurai' for Kurosawa.
I'm sure that most theatergoers who've heard of Kurosawa would say that, but your average audience probably has very few people who've heard of him (as popular as he is).

Anyway, I watched Murmur of the Heart last night, a Louis Malle film (another cult director )
lesamourai is offline   Reply With Quote