Music Banter - View Single Post - Rock Band II
Thread: Rock Band II
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
I wish they would put great bands on and not the 'Yeah Yeah Yeahs' and 'The Killers'. Stupid Beatles corporation that won't sell the songs. Pink Floyd, Kinks, VU, Clapton (LAYLA!?!?!?!?!?!?), Hendrix, would all be great for the game. At least they have the Clash, Stones, Police, and Ramones (?). (In the first one).

JTull, Sonic Youth, Dylan (!), Talking Heads, all good. Still not getting it though.
It would be way, way, way too hard to get those artists' permission to use their songs. I am extremely surprised that Bob Dylan allowed anything to be licensed to a video game, but perhaps he is growing sentimental in his old age. It's actually rather indicative of a sellout to see some musicians on that list. And most of the permission is yielded by the actual artists, not the record companies. Up until about six months ago, I don't think you could even find Led Zeppelin or The Beatles on iTunes.

Honestly, I would rather not see those artists on there at all. It would ruin their unblemished images for me. Covers are fine, though. A butchered cover doesn't make me hate the original artist.