Music Banter - View Single Post - Goodest Rock Artists: This is not a Joke
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 03:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Gossling
Groupie

Default Goodest Rock Artists: This is not a Joke

As the topic states: this is not a joke! The apparent lack of knowledge of the English language is actually born out of a semantical conflict between the connotations of the words "great" and "good".

The word "great" often carries several connotations: influence, success, innovation, importance...so the words "quality" and "complexity" are often shelved in the lists of greatest rock bands.

The word "good" lacks these connotations, so quality and complexity are usually more important in deciding a thing's "goodness." The problem is that the denotation (proper definition) of the word prevents it from standing up against the word "great" which is so diluted by its many connotations.

If you were able to follow me thus far, feel free to post. If not, I don't want you writing on this thread.

Great Artists (subjective, off the top of my head...please don't bash it):
- The Beatles
- Bob Dylan
- Led Zeppelin
- The Who
- Pink Floyd
- The Clash

This isn't what I mean. I'm talking quality! One of the "goodest" artists I know is Billy Joel. I don't want people complaining that "he wasn't really a rock artist" or anything, because that's not the point. The point is that he was able to consistently write diverse music of high quality. Yes, quality is terribly subjective, but there is something to be said for complexity (chord progressions, structure, instrumentation) that works, and that carries plenty of emotional content. He didn't change the face of rock forever. He didn't invent punk rock. But, once again, that's not the bloody point.

I want to hear about some more, preferably those who have traditionally been left of the lists of the "greatest rock artists."

Because greatness is so overrated.

Thanks everyone.
Gossling is offline   Reply With Quote