Music Banter - View Single Post - An Infinite Number Of Things That Pisses Me Off About Music
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #58 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

91 : GRUNGE / ALTERNATIVE

I already posted this before but I'll re-use it here because i'm lazy.

My personal opinion is that grunge is one of the biggest fallacies in music history.

I don't have a problem with the ideal of grunge, The thought of someone putting Black Sabbath style riffs with punk/indie ideals & attitudes appeals to me.

Grunge was supposed to be the great break out of the American Underground , but that wasn't what happened. All that happened was record labels signed up any scruffy band that looked and sounded miserable , in a lot of cases ex hair metal bands (EG Alice In Chains & Pearl Jam) There were a few exceptions like Mudhoney who run out of ideas shortly after their first album came out , and Soundgarden who despite showing some signs of promise on Ultramega OK decided to be some crappy Sabbath tribute band instead.

But other than that the whole grunge thing led to the whole 'alternative' thing where people actually believed that by listening to major label stadium rock shit like the Smashing Pumpkins & Bush that they were under the deluded impression that they were listening to the alternative to the mainstream when in reality real independent labels and bands struggled to compete against the growing monopoly of the big 4 labels.
The whole thing was a lie , and the music was mostly rubbish and thats why I hate it.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote