Music Banter - View Single Post - Should I Start a Band?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2008, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Boy
Music Addict

Default Should I Start a Band?

Hi everyonne, I'm new here. I've been looking for a place to recieve advice to guide through the process of making and distributing music. Currently I've been wondering whether or not I should start a band. Recently I have been making demos on my own, and I intend on making a mixtape with them. However, I would like to perform and record with a live band, but I don't know if I should find musicians to make a backing band and remain a solo artist or myself and the musicians be a unified band?

The main reasons for my unsurity are 1) I already have a concept of an album and live performances and don't want to compromise with band members and 2) I feel like I should have a band so that I can easily move between genres. My idea was to start a band for doing rock music and be solo for my more pop/dance oriented songs. I fear if I mix the two people will reject the band or myself as an artist. Basically, I'm unsure if there is an audience for a band or artist that intermixes rock/pop styles like Morrissey, Blondie, and Patti Smith with pop/dance material like early 80s Madonna, Kylie Minogue, and George Michael.

The material I write is sometimes in the deep, poetic vain of Patti Smith and sometimes more simple, cheese pop like early 80s Madonna. I figured if I had a band, I could seperate the two by being part of a rock band, while keeping the other material for my solo ventures. Or perhaps it would be more interesting to not seperate the two?

Anyway, I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions or comments you can give me. Hopefully, I wasn't too confusing in this post.
The Boy is offline   Reply With Quote