Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone else notice how completely retarded and biased Metacritic is?
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 06:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
whogivesaflux
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
I used to use Metacritic as a resource to review new music for the past fourteen to eighteen months, but lately, I'm starting to wonder exactly how impartial these motherfuckers are. Here's just a taste of their bullshit:

One Day As A Lion: One Day As A Lion [EP] (2008): Reviews

The "average" score is 80, but there are two reviews that clock under that. Not only this, but it's the Metacritic staff that are the ones to assign reviews scores in the first fucking place. I've noticed that they don't report too many poor reviews on indie/electronica albums and the editors have seemed to develop their own tastes. The reviews are weighted to give higher precendence to sources which the editors find appealing. I thought the purpose of this site was to establish objective and encompassing reviews of albums, not to promote their own musical tastes. I guess there's politics there too.

I will never guage my taste in music based upon what these fuckers tell me ever again.

Fuck Metacritic.
It's always entertaining to see one critic get outraged by another. How is it the you're being any less absolute and unyielding than the critical object of your disdain? If our musical passion & appreciation were a substance you could attempt to cut through with a knife, it would be made of concrete. We all (me included) choose to be the knife's will rather than accepting the solid fortress that is our personal resolve. Musical critique is all an expressive joke. At the end of the day all that we have is our own two ears accompanied by a single will that decides what we listen to.

Loyalty with respect to artistic favor is the opposite of critical integrity.
whogivesaflux is offline   Reply With Quote