Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official David Bowie Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 06:14 PM   #200 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
We're on the same page, buddy. Just about. I actually liked the whole of The Man Who Sold The World, because the music sounds odd, brooding, ominous - like there's something wrong with it that needs to be fixed. I feel that quality makes it one of Bowie's best records. However, I am currently listening to Hunky Dory, and aside from the hits on it, does the whole thing not like totally blow? I mean, in whose definition does this constitute anything aside from pointless, wasteful trollope?

Space Oddity also sucks aside from 2 (maybe 3) songs and as for Bowie's first album, well...I don't think even the staunchest Bowiephiles would try to justify its existence. Early David Bowie seems to be all about the singles. I am increasingly convinced of that. I am starting to understand for the first time why Ethan has referred to him as David Blowme.
I'm getting the impression you hate things just because they're good. Space Oddity may not have been too good, but at least it got Bowie into the world. And, well...

Hunky Dory > you.