Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official David Bowie Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #215 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
loz, dude, just what IS your issue? Like, seriously?

Changes and Life On Mars are fantastic songs. But on the basis of what I know of his early work (with the one exception of The Man Who Sold The World [album]), Bowie is all about the singles/big hitters. The album tracks on Hunky Dory are absolute crud. It's reminiscent of the same crappy music hall tripe that he began his career with.

Aside from that, your claim that I "dislike things just because they're good" is not only arrogant, but completely ignorant of who I am and my tastes in music. Hell, you know WHY I am bothering to listen to Bowie's discography? Because I grown up listening to and loving David Bowie, on the basis of his greatest hits CDs. Liking David Bowie as much as I did/do, I am curious to have a fuller picture of his work. Up to now I am not impressed.
David Bowie is counted among rock's great musicians because of his albums, not his singles. If you want to contest that fact, be my guest. It doesn't make you right. Here's a sampling of his excellent albums (these are just the classics, but feel free to make a list of your own):

The Man Who Sold The World
Hunky Dory
Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
Aladdin Sane
Young Americans
Low
"Heroes"

Hunky Dory is an amazing album which foreshadows the compositional genius in later albums like Ziggy and Aladdin Sane, and is filled to the brim with excellent songs. Writing it off as "tripe" is immature and clearly shows a lack of appreciation for his unique songwriting. What other Bowie albums showcase such a varied portrait of his talents like Hunky Dory? It's probably one of his most widely appreciated albums, and as far as Bowie goes, that's certainly saying something.

If you want to base your experiences with Bowie on a greatest hits CD, I don't see much reason arguing with you.