Music Banter - View Single Post - Pitchfork
Thread: Pitchfork
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #37 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Which idiotic presumptions? You probably don't have a clue who you're talking to. I'm practically a PITCHFORK FANBOY~! Get it? FANBOY! I visit the site religiously every working day of the week. I download all of their best new music recommendations. The whole f'cking lot. 90% of my favourite albums in my top 20 for this year I heard about first from Pitchfork. It is my favourite indie music news and reviews site bar none. But if I feel that either THEY or the generality of reviewers get something wrong, then I will goddamn say so.
Although it's pretty obvious I misunderstood why you hated the Fleet Foxes' debut, that's a great way to pigeonhole your tastes in music.

Quote:
I know. That's what I find so abominable. If it were just Pitchfork I probably wouldn't have said anything. It's the point that they have been so widely praised that annoys me so much.
Hmmm... Let me get this straight: You're willing to listen to what Pitchfork says, but when an album is critically acclaimed across the board, you feel it necessary to claim that they suck? Now that's just downright illogical.

Quote:
That is, by any low standards.
That is, by YOUR low standards. You don't represent everyone.

Quote:
It was. It received a 9. 9 or above is an extremely rare occurrence on Pitchfork. I should know. I had the geekiness to follow them for so long.
Huh? I think that number is a nine.

Quote:
So others hyped it more than Pitchfork did. Whoop-te-do. What does this prove? Only that the indie hype machine's been licking its own a$shole pretty damn ferociously lately.
The indie hype machine? It was critically acclaimed across the board! Or is that what all music reviews are called now, "the indie hype machine"? I must have missed a memo.

Quote:
Seeming as we've now established that your supposed premise of mine was not entirely accurate, I'll end by saying that I DO have a perfectly legitimate reason for trashing Fleet Foxes: it's just not a particularly good album. Good for a debut, maybe. Signs of promise, perhaps. But much good in and of itself? Surrrrre.
Which is your opinion, and doesn't serve to support any derogatory comments you made.